Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Site Operator
Site Operator

Site Rep: ACT

Post 18 Sep 2018, 19:00

Worlds Reps Functional Discussion / Report Sept. 2018

Hello to one and all.
Please find attached the - Worlds Reps Functional Discussion / Report Sept. 2018

Daniel Claridge (Gizmo)
Aust. World Rep.
ninjagizmosis@internode.on.net

Doc Baldwin (Phoenix)
President World Council 2018/2020
doc@zone3act.com.au

Worlds Reps Functional Discussion - Report.pdf
18 Sept 2018
(116.49 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
... and so it begins ...
... perhaps after we enjoy a good drink!
<<

Popeyes

Zone Sentinel
Zone Sentinel

Site Rep: NZ

Post 19 Sep 2018, 10:23

Re: Worlds Reps Functional Discussion / Report Sept. 2018

Had a few people asking me this so adding this for clarity:

This update is not something we have discussed officially in Worlds council - this is purely an update for Australia from the Australian reps. Though it is well worth reading for anyone interested in worlds as it contains some good updates.
<<

Phoenix

Zone Trooper
Zone Trooper

Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Site Operator
Site Operator

Post 19 Sep 2018, 14:04

Popeyes wrote:Had a few people asking me this so adding this for clarity:

This update is not something we have discussed officially in Worlds council - this is purely an update for Australia from the Australian reps. Though it is well worth reading for anyone interested in worlds as it contains some good updates.

Thanks Popeyes.
Yes this is correct - it's an official document for the Australian side of things, not required to be discussed by the whole Worlds Council.
However it shows what the Council is doing, certainly not everything they are doing!
I can attest to being kept on my toes!

On a personal note: Have to say the Council (Every one of them) is doing so much this year in so many ways to increase the efficiency and overall streamlining of the Worlds.
It is a real pleasure to work with such a diverse, constructive group of people, towards a common goal.
Thank you.
... and so it begins ...
<<

Pain

Zone Bunny
Zone Bunny

Site Rep: QLD

Post 20 Sep 2018, 08:58

Hey Guys i also posted on facebook but since that isnt everyones favourite place i thought id post in the discussion here as well

Hi Doc/Gizmo

I think its great that all the posts lately reflect our growing interest in worlds, not just form a playing a great comp standpoint but from the how is it run and whats the process the committee goes through when making these big decisions.

I think the idea of interest in worlds is an interesting one. While i think 50 people is not a small number i'm not sure interest is something that can be measured. I know there's more than one person who when asked "whose keen on playing laser tag in France at worlds?" responded with "Hell yeah i am" but never went any further than that. Why? Well i couldn't speak for everyone but i think simply measuring interest like that isn't the best indicator.

I would also like to see (and please if i have missed it direct me to where i can find this so i can disseminate it to people who have messaged me about it) a little more in terms of guidelines to how we, the players, can take this interest and go further with it. Are there guidelines on how teams are formed? do we have a rule book for worlds and who do we have to talk to if we are interested but need to know more about dates and times, as its a big outlay both in terms of time and money.

Next while i think most of the things talked about by Mad Cans are good points for discussion there is one that i fundamentally disagree with and that is the notion
"In previous years the worlds comp elections process wasn’t needed to be overly formal or regular"

The reason for this is regardless of whether i (a member of the laser tag playing community) am being represented at a local level, a world level or anywhere in between i want to make sure i am being represented by a person who has the support of a majority of the player base. This may mean its not the person i voted for, but hey that's politics in a democratic system. If they have the support of the majority of the player base they represent that they are who the player base wants as a rep.

Essentially the example i am referring to is the process in which Gizmo was elected. Of our entire player base 40 people registered to vote. This was but a fraction of the people that attended nationals this year do i'm not sure this result can be said to be accurate of what the zone community believes. however this may be exactly accurate of what the community thinks so i agree with Mad cans in the way that at 2019 nationals a vote should take place.

You mention to be asking you to quit, which i'm not sure is what he meant, i think you and gizmo would absolutely put in and with the experience you had it would be very easy to make a case for re-election but ultimately let the Australian player base decide.

Just my thoughts though,
Pain
<<

Phoenix

Zone Trooper
Zone Trooper

Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Site Operator
Site Operator

Post 20 Sep 2018, 15:00

And in response ...

Doc Baldwin Hi Sam Gibbs I agree, the new interest is great.
Would like to say this as from my own personal perspective, not as a rep.

I believe your comment is correct ..

Sam - “While i think 50 people is not a small number i'm not sure interest is something that can be measured. I know there's more than one person who when asked "whose keen on playing laser tag in France at worlds?" responded with "Hell yeah i am" but never went any further than that.”

I would not personally speak for the “Hell Yeah I am” etc. That is not my position.
However I would say if it was recorded, as it was, then it was looked at as being of interest.
The same as every year before that we have gone.
As mentioned there are many reasons people would or could go / not go, all valid.
I said I was going, I did. That is the best I can do with that.

Showing the numbers of people that were interested, for whatever reason, over the years we have attended was not only to show “interest” as a whole. It was to give an idea of the “History”.

It is more of a way to get back to what is really the case that a few people seem to be missing.
I think maybe it’s a good idea to go back a little and put it into perspective.

The current committee here in Australia enjoy a level of legitimacy earned by its own work and its predecessors work building the system we currently have.
This started with a group of site ops that ran the Nationals here in Australia, right up to the time they decided it was a good time to get the players involved.
Then after a while they began a handover period, so we could have an elected group.
First only a couple were asked to join the committee, not even a real committee yet, more a guidance group, very similar to what Gizmo and I are doing right now.
This was, year by year changed and eventually we had the formation of a committee and structured voting, all of the things we all accept as normal now.
This process started 20 years ago, some serious time has been covered to get where we are.

The current Worlds situation is no different and is still in its early years.
We are moving to exactly what is being discussed, getting it all into place.
It would be awesome if the energies invested in these posts could be put behind the current reps to gain the connection Mad Cans is keen to see.
Instead of bringing in a divisive attitude, I would suggest we all support and assist the structure currently being developed to get this to the player base as a whole, together.

The Australasian Committee does not need to be trying to do both jobs, that is not what it was tasked with on its formation, nor does it have a constitution to cover this.
We currently have no Australian wide Constitution that covers all Australian Players, no recognised constitution that covers this and for that matter our own Australasian comp in FULL representation.
I know it is being looked at and has been before.
Even attended a meeting in Queensland led by the guys up there to get towards this.
Nothing has come of that, yet, but we know its an idea that is out there.

Sam - “I would also like to see (and please if i have missed it direct me to where i can find this so i can disseminate it to people who have messaged me about it) a little more in terms of guidelines to how we, the players, can take this interest and go further with it. Are there guidelines on how teams are formed? do we have a rule book for worlds and who do we have to talk to if we are interested but need to know more about dates and times, as its a big outlay both in terms of time and money.”

All of what you say in this comment supports what we say in the report. Thank you.

Reference below.

4. Future Australian Team Selection Questions:

This topic is on the agenda for upcoming talks and we both would like to have a discussion with the players and the committee on this topic.
There will be many ideas coming forth and this alone will take time to sort through, it is however a main section of work yet to be done.
There will need to be a full discussion, gain insight and look at many methods that will need to be introduced.

Including but not limited to:

1. How we select our teams.
2. What are the requirements for team selections, personal and representational.
3. Who will be the selectors.
4. How do we choose the selectors?
5. What will be the requirements for those selectors?
6. Will the teams be self-formed?
7. Will we look at the top 5 or so teams from the last two Nationals?

We have these things on the radar and are working towards them as mentioned in the report.

Sam - “Next while i think most of the things talked about by Mad Cans are good points for discussion there is one that i fundamentally disagree with and that is the notion "In previous years the worlds comp elections process wasn’t needed to be overly formal or regular"

Again we / I totally agree with you and others. It is a requirement to get the election into a more formal state. I believe Mad Cans simply meant it was less formal before as we were all a group still forming, now we are moving from that.
Please read section 3 of the report.

Sam - “Essentially the example i am referring to is the process in which Gizmo was elected. Of our entire player base 40 people registered to vote. This was but a fraction of the people that attended nationals this year do i'm not sure this result can be said to be accurate of what the zone community believes. however this may be exactly accurate of what the community thinks so i agree with Mad cans in the way that at 2019 nationals a vote should take place.”

Nope now I must disagree with you young sir.

I cannot agree that 6 players put in for a position - then get voted on by others, no matter how many or few can be viewed as anything but a vote. No matter the apathy shown by the rest of the community as a whole.
If you have the opportunity to vote then do so, do not cry foul on a result because you (Not you personally) did not do so.

It calls directly to the whole idea of a vote as being valid by those that cast it in the first place.
Meaning your own current position is in doubt equally as much.
That is not democracy in action at all.

Sam - “You mention to be asking you to quit, which i'm not sure is what he meant, i think you and gizmo would absolutely put in and with the experience you had it would be very easy to make a case for re-election but ultimately let the Australian player base decide.”

I believe being asked to put ourselves into a new voting situation is a terrible idea.
Simply having to go through a process that is actually being developed as we speak, let alone sorted out by 2019 Nats, approx. 5 months away is quite simply a bad idea.
Better the voices in here lend a hand and get behind those already setup and so obviously passionate about getting the information out and the procedures in place for the future reps to travel with.

To go in hand with this we would like to speak to everyone at the opening ceremony, introduce ourselves up front and let them know we would like to have a couple of brainstorming sessions with anyone interested in helping.
With this we have ideas on hand and can then speak at the closing ceremony on where we are at, possibly with a few new assistants in the mix.

This should go a long way towards what we are all trying to do.

Cheers.
... and so it begins ...

Return to Zone World Championships