Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Site Operator
Site Operator

Site Rep: ACT

Post 10 Apr 2019, 16:54

Re: Nationals is broken!

Well there you go.

Whilst not agreeing with everything written and or the way it was approached, I do understand why you felt it was easier to remain unknown.
It is not for any one individual to look at what you have written and decide it is ALL right or wrong.
It is for the community as a whole.
To get to that point you then have to ask every individual, if they are serious, to look toward what it is they would really like to see this game turn into?
Are we - a Sport / Recreational Game / Social Gathering ? (Something else.)
I speak here as an individual and would say we require a fundamental change if you want to be a sport.
That has nothing to do with the current organisation / rules / roles people play / or indeed the equipment.
It goes to the time it takes to get through the competition as it exists, the requirements for whom can and cannot play, the lack of true sporting structure / culture ie: the capping requirements are a start in the right direction but are poorly constructed (My own opinion only.)
Having an opinion is great - getting it out without upsetting those in control ... well.
Constructive opinion ie: the opinion that at least attempts to assist and not simply yell - OMG its broken fix it - is always better to offer at least an idea to assist.
Personally I do believe that is what you have attempted to do Sgt Moo.
I do not have an issue with some that thought it was me, actually it was quite funny, nor do I have an issue with everything you wrote, just a few and thats just me.

Stay well and be well.
... and so it begins ...
... perhaps after we enjoy a good drink!
<<

Sgt Moo

Zone Bunny
Zone Bunny

Site Rep: SA

Post 16 Apr 2019, 22:35

This is just going to be a relatively short post just as an update on things happening.

Firstly I would like to thank Doc for what he has said above as he homes in on one of the key points I made right at the very start. Do we want to and are we trying to become an actual sport or something else? The steps the committee are taking seem to suggest with the region associations we are trying to become a sport but have we as a community as a whole decided that’s what we want? While right at the very start I did do a little more yelling and pointing than offering up suggestions, I have tried to offer more than straight up criticism where possible. There were a few short suggestions and offerings in there for those who took the time to read through my original post but I could only do so much in the time I had. After the post I have offered up what I can, even going as far as re-writing the whole rulebook to a more refined structure. I even recently had a friend studying law have a look over it and it meets a lot of the proper structure for an actual set of laws, apparently better than some from actual law students. It means a lot to me to hear that there are those who do agree with me, even if it’s not 100%, even if it’s not even 50%, it means I am at least not alone in thinking that something isn’t right. So thankyou Doc/Phoenix for your support.

After I received the email from the committee the other day I quickly sent back an email stating that I was not part of the media team at the time of one of the incidents. A couple of days ago I got a reply asking for my side of the story and a chance to have the committee reconsider their decision. I was planning on posting a full copy of what I submitted but that’s like 2 and a half pages detailing timeline stuff and what my status and location was at various points. Instead I will wait until the committee has had the chance to go over it and make their decision and post it after for people to read if they wish. This post really is just to thank the committee for taking the time to listen and allow me the chance to explain things and to let people know that I am talking to them and not just shouting like a lunatic in the forums.

To Ibo, it’s hard to convey tone or emotion in text like this but there’s a lot of passion behind what I want to say here. I’m sorry, but I can’t/wont stop. I see a committee trying to push the game/sport I love in a direction that just doesn’t seem to make sense. They’re trying to push for associations and things that would align with us being recognised as a sport without showing the community a clear roadmap of how they plan to get there, if that even is their destination. If they are pushing for recognition as a sport, have they checked to see if the community as a whole shares that desire? Personally I want us to be recognised as a sport but we seem to have jumped the gun a bit. The game we play barely stands up to it’s own rulebook, what is a sport without a proper rulebook? Due to the amount of ambiguity and lack of definition in the rule book there are a number of things I could do in the maze that a ref would term me for but aren’t exactly defined in the rulebook. There’s also so much stuff in there that just does not relate to the playing of the actual game. Normally I’m not the one to want to stand up and be the one in the spotlight to get things done, I’m well out my comfort zone here, I’d rather sit back in the shadows and do the actual work. But when I see things are going astray and as messed up as this and no-one else seems to notice or care or want to point it out I feel like I have to. Not everyone may like it or agree with it (or want to agree with it) but I see it as something that can’t be avoided.

Well this is a bit longer than I had anticipated but I await the committee’s decision and welcome those who approach me with feedback or questions.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem...or not enough hot glue
<<

Sgt Moo

Zone Bunny
Zone Bunny

Site Rep: SA

Post 14 May 2019, 16:01

This is a bit delayed, got a bit side-tracked with a few other things and didn’t get around to the committee’s appeal response.

I have attached a slightly shortened version of my appeal submission to the committee that covers my degree of involvement in the supposed breaches. I submit this to the community so they have all the facts and can draw their own conclusions as to who they think is in the wrong. The content removed was some side information on recent changes to Australian data privacy laws I felt the committee should be aware of which for those interested can be read at the link below.
https://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy-law/privacy-act/notifiable-data-breaches-scheme

Firstly, for those who skipped reading my attached submission, as I don’t mention it in my post on the 6th of April. I was charged with a breach of the CoC without being afforded due process or the committee having a corpus delicti (a body of evidence proving me guilty) showing that I made the anonymous post(s). I would like to thank the committee for the apology I received and statement on the way they issued me with the breach of the CoC. I do not know if they have an actual documented process for handling issues like this but either it wasn’t followed or they didn’t have one but am thankful they have stated they will follow proper process in future. I do not know if any details about all of this was announced to the community as people without a facebook account cannot view meeting minutes.

As for their decision to uphold their original ruling I must say I am disappointed. I clearly outline how I am not at fault in the accused breaches of the CoC and the only way I could know the information at hand was if it was already public knowledge so fail to see how the decision can be upheld. At least the committee shows dedication in sticking to their guns about the things they feel strongly about.

I had a read through the Ref Survey Analysis and must say I am impressed. A nice insight into the ref culture of our sport. I will say on this that I was toying with the idea of making a practical component to the Ref Test in the form of a couple of recorded semi scripted games to viewed in VR (so the person being tested has to actually look around and watch for things) with a number of scripted breakings of rules they have to point out. I was looking at doing this out of my own interest for messing with VR and stereoscopic recording and felt the ref test would be a nice project to learn it with. This I feel would aid in the Referee Qualification Process which shows a bit of a mixed bag in people’s opinion of the current testing methodology. This is easily doable with a spare Samsung phone and GearVR that I have, but seeing as I am unable to volunteer in any capacity for a while I guess I won’t be able to offer this support.

Now it appears the committee are looking for rulebook submissions again, my stance on the rulebook has already been made clear on its current structure and layout and lack of a set of definitions. I submitted a mostly complete replacement last year for the game rulebook and tournament guidelines that appears to have been pretty much ignored by the committee. I haven’t really worked on it since then but was thinking of trying to create a comparison document that links the current rule book to mine detailing what got moved to where and how it fixes a bunch of loopholesthat could be exploited in game if the rulebook is to be taken as it is written. However, two and a half weeks is a bit tight to write all of that up and I would rather not drive myself to mental breaking point cramming that workload into such a small time frame only to have the committee ignore it all again so chances are slim it will get done in time, if at all.

Well that’s all for now, I’m curious to know people’s thoughts on the handling and issue of the beach and the committee’s final decision of banning me from volunteering in any capacity for 5 years.
Attachments
Response for Forums.pdf
(229.63 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem...or not enough hot glue
Previous

Return to Zone Australasian Titles