Timing and settings moving forward with packs

<<

Gizmo

Zone Target
Zone Target

Site Rep: SA

Post 29 Oct 2017, 13:16

Timing and settings moving forward with packs

This has been posted in Fb by one of the Australian players.

What are the thoughts of everyone on this topic?

Hey guys. Just having some thoughts on the timing stuff everyone's been talking about that i think is important going forward and dont want lost in a huge thread.
As i understand in the previous systems there has been certain traits that affect the timing/wakeup order of the packs due to technical limitations in the hardware amd firmware of the system. We accept these traits and move on with our lives.
I might be wrong, but it seems like the helios pro system has advanced enough technology to basically do whatever we want with timing. Which means we can assume that future systems will also be capable of having "perfect" timing.
This presents us with an opportunity to test and decide on the best timing and wakeup structure possible for competitive play which can be perfectly replicated for future systems.
So forget about this "nexus vs helios" stuff for a minute and think big picture. We have the opportunity here to make a huge step forward in standardising our sport by adapting a timing scheme which is forward compatible with new systems. Thats kind of a big deal imo.
All im saying is lets really put some thought into this before we bandaid it up and have to review every time a new system comes out.
<<

Phoenix

Zone Trooper
Zone Trooper

Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Site Operator
Site Operator

Site Rep: ACT

Post 29 Oct 2017, 14:34

Re: Timing and settings moving forward with packs

So - at this point do you, or does anyone have a good idea for the timing scenario?
... and so it begins ...
... perhaps after we enjoy a good drink!
<<

Gizmo

Zone Target
Zone Target

Post 29 Oct 2017, 15:17

As an older player ( slower reac time :) ) I liked the old system with Shot cancellation.
This is my private view though...

Reading through these forums, and getting other outside information... I really believe we need to set 1 standard that is set on a world wide basis. This can be adjusted by software or game coding in each country / site, but the basics need to be set and locked.
What are we looking for moving forward?
Is it shot cancellation on power up? or should the attacker ( live Player ) get a split second advantage by using the sound file or light start up over a deac player?
What are the restrictions in the coding of a pack or server? Radio vs wifi vs the next generation....

In an ideal world, my playstyle would like to see that once the lights are on, the sound starts, and you are 'Live' to be shot and to shoot back, with shot cancellation to make those that have these super reactions have to move and play the maze more.
With the noise in a maze, assisting refs with knowing a pack is actually up by having the lights on the moment the pack is live, may be a bit of a help. How many players have been shot when stepping over the line after hearing the sounds, but the pack lights are not up, so receive a term for it? Those people that internally count their down time...

Would like to hear from others though.....

tldr; Lights on when pack powers up, with sound, and shot cancellation.
<<

Azrael

Zone Poster
Zone Poster

Site Admins
Site Admins

P&C Representative
P&C Representative

Post 03 Nov 2017, 12:12

Gizmo wrote:As an older player ( slower reac time :) ) I liked the old system with Shot cancellation.
This is my private view though...

Reading through these forums, and getting other outside information... I really believe we need to set 1 standard that is set on a world wide basis. This can be adjusted by software or game coding in each country / site, but the basics need to be set and locked.
What are we looking for moving forward?
Is it shot cancellation on power up? or should the attacker ( live Player ) get a split second advantage by using the sound file or light start up over a deac player?
What are the restrictions in the coding of a pack or server? Radio vs wifi vs the next generation....

In an ideal world, my playstyle would like to see that once the lights are on, the sound starts, and you are 'Live' to be shot and to shoot back, with shot cancellation to make those that have these super reactions have to move and play the maze more.
With the noise in a maze, assisting refs with knowing a pack is actually up by having the lights on the moment the pack is live, may be a bit of a help. How many players have been shot when stepping over the line after hearing the sounds, but the pack lights are not up, so receive a term for it? Those people that internally count their down time...

Would like to hear from others though.....

tldr; Lights on when pack powers up, with sound, and shot cancellation.

Not sure if I have the right of it, but it sounds awfully like you're saying "Shot cancellation" but meaning "Trigger lockout".

To draw distinction between the two...

Trigger Lockout: The delay between reactivating and being able to fire. May be extended by a penalty for firing earlier.

Shot Cancellation: The name for the event in older systems where you can avoid being deactivated by firing at the same time as someone tagging you.

In regards to my personal opinion about timing - we should always strive to match newer tech, we shouldn't reintroduce system limitations or bugs, brought about by older software / hardware.
I aim to misbehave.

"Hey... Isn't P&C in Melbourne?" - Pal, 2012 (On Subtlety)
"And I will pay $50 to get out of Jail again, because this game is a ****" - Vector, 2013 (On Monopoly)
"I do mistrust dinosaurs..." - Rep, 2014 (On Forum Policy)
<<

Gizmo

Zone Target
Zone Target

Post 03 Nov 2017, 16:49

I have never liked trigger lockout. To me it is a distraction... As soon as the pack powers up, you should be able to shoot.

PostThis post was deleted by beefy on 07 May 2018, 18:19.

Return to Other