Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Site Operator
Site Operator

Site Rep: ACT

Post 15 Jan 2018, 18:56

Aust. Nats Capped Teams Idea...

Just for an Idea .....

So with all that discussion we have seen on the Teams / Times How many games and Who we play ...
There are some realities we all have to face.
first off Punisher (USA) is correct - it is a good problem to have - we have a healthy scene her in Australia / NZ, that is to be commended to all of the past and present people whom have worked so hard to get it where it is.
So where to now ...?
1. We extend the comp - not really viable, already we have a heap of time taken from annual leave, and considering that we get 4 weeks off a year the USA gets only two weeks ... its a lucky thing we do get 4.

2. We put a cap on the teams coming ?
A more realistic idea, but how do we start this process ?

Just an Idea.... one that has been discussed in the past, for when we saw this happening. (Yes we were hopeful...)
We have essentially ...
WA - NT - SA - ACT - QLD - VIC - NSW - TAS - NZ
9 Areas 10 if we include NZ as North and South ... up for argument I am sure. They do have 8 regions so it could get to be an interesting argument.

However Leaving it at 9 for the sake of this conversation ...
We could allow for 3 teams per state / territory = 27 teams
Each state / Territory can have its own method of deciding which of its teams are the best to send.
Dates. Comp is in March. After the Nats in March, you already know where the next two are ... ie last year we had the comp in SA - you all knew in March 2017 that - 2018 -Albury 2019 - Sunny Coast, so you all have heaps of time to commit to either ... and so it goes for every year we run ....
Given this knowledge, you can decide pretty early on, how to get the best from each State and or territory to represent those states and Territories.
Cut off dates. Example.
Given the knowledge of the approx dates / known Month for two years, we can apply some cut off dates.
March 2017 SA .... Cut off for confirmed teams, that WILL be going from each state / territory, could be August 1st 2017 For attendance March 2018
At which point if we do not get 3 teams from each State / territory we can fill in with extras from the other states and Territories ...
Now before we go on .. if we allow two teams to come for EU / USA etc ... thats 27 local teams and two OS teams ... 29 teams .... so we say a premium of 33 teams ... for arguments sake ... have space for 4 more teams ...to a total of 33 CAPPED.

Again if we get all states getting the 3 teams then we still have 4 team spots for extras like NSW / QLD etc ...All done perhaps on Application ... if we only see 2 more from Qld and Two from NSW - great we are full ... if we also see two more on top of the NSW / QLD twams say One from Vic and 1 from NZ .... then they each get 1, and each state cand decide how that is done.
If we see as an example : Only 1 team from NT and one from Vic.
With all others at Max, we then have from 29 possibles only 25 teams registered by the cut off date, we now have room for 8 more teams to come along, or we could have a lower, more appropriate cap at this point ?

In any case we also need to remember we are trying to get Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand involved, that's 3 more sites to bring teams ....now we are looking at only two teams per state / Territory / Region to be allowed to enter ....

And another set of parameters to apply....

Just food for thought.

Doc
... and so it begins ...
... perhaps after we enjoy a good drink!
<<

Phoenix

Zone Trooper
Zone Trooper

Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Site Operator
Site Operator

Post 17 Jan 2018, 17:37

Re: Aust. Nats Capped Teams Idea...

I have been really thinking on this subject and the more I go the more I really think we NEED this as a state based comp.
Allowing anything else would be biased toward the numbers from any given area.
It would also promote the growth in ALL areas / states Territories etc.
This is not to say there would not be allowances for extra teams to go from the areas that have extras available.
I can lay this out in detail but im sure most will get the idea from the first post.
Averaging it out to who has the most population again is exceptionally biased.
A team from a state with less people stand little or no chance for growth with no allowance for the future.
If a state did not have enough one year - then those spots can be offered to others in a set procedure.
The following year that state may well be able to get the required teams.

This comes after a discussion with the indoor hockey coaches here in the ACT currently playing at our site.
The coaches from various states have all congratulated us on such an organised and extensive event, they suggest we consider what we do next very carefully.
... and so it begins ...
<<

Gizmo

Zone Target
Zone Target

Site Rep: SA

Post 30 Jan 2018, 17:16

Nationals Team Capping.....

After a lot of thinking in regards to this issue, and looking at other high level sports, may I propose the following for thought knowing this may cancel me out as a player on a team. :cry:

Each site that runs a competition has the right to enter a team. This gives diversity to the greater ZLTAC community, whilst also increasing our player base.

Taking into consideration the fact that those teams that play off in the Grand Final should get an Automatic entry for their site in the following years event, but not to the detriment of the ZLTAC community in general, I propose the following...

If we say there are 21 potential sites within the Australasian Community, this is the basis for the first round of applications, plus at least one additional spot per site for the top three teams from the previous year. If a site has 2 or more teams in the top 3, they still only get the 1 additional round 1 postition.

Round 1 - May 1st - June 30th

All 21 potential sites can nominate 1 team only.
If a site had a team in the top 3 of the previous ZLTAC, they receive 1 extra nomination.
TOTAL Round 1 possibilities... 24 teams.

Of this, only 14 sites put up a nomination, and pay a deposit, plus the 3 previous winners... Total = 17 teams.

Round 2 -July 15th to August 31st

Of the 14 sites that have now registered, only these sites may now nominate a second team up to the max team number. First in, paid and registered gets first spot ect, up until the cap.
If only 10 sites now add a team, we are up to 27 teams. ( 17 round 1 plus 10 Round 2 )

Round 3 - Sept 15th to Sept 30th

We are now at 27 teams with a possible cap of 33. 10 sites have registered a second team may now have the right to nominate a 3rd team. Same rules as Round 2... First in paid and registered gets the spots up until the cap.

Only 6 spots are available at this time.... All 6 are taken. If not, There is your max Teams.

These are my thoughts after some long time thinking about it. This is supposed to be the top level of our region based competition, but as others have pointed out, it is also the chance to get the community together for a great event.

Regards

Gizmo.
<<

Phoenix

Zone Trooper
Zone Trooper

Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Site Operator
Site Operator

Post 30 Jan 2018, 19:42

The Math doesn't go well the way you suggest.
If a site gets 3 in top 3 then they get 4 teams next year. (Even with your rule of 1 extra)
In no way does that equate to ANY form of top ranked or otherwise sport in Australia.
To be a National sport you need National representation ....

So you are suggesting a site based comp.

If this is true its no longer Nationals and we could have over 60 sites, the cap is now void and we have the same issue as before...
So you would need to have other constraints ... do they run a league - are they running Juniors - what criteria are you setting for being able to enter a site ?

True National sports - one team per state . A Grade ... One team per state B grade ... and so on ... the state decides its criteria for who gets the spot ...
Maybe not how I would go, but its "a" way.
... and so it begins ...
<<

Gizmo

Zone Target
Zone Target

Site Rep: SA

Post 30 Jan 2018, 21:03

Phoenix wrote:The Math doesn't go well the way you suggest.
If a site gets 3 in top 3 then they get 4 teams next year.

If a site has 2 or more teams in the top 3, they still only get the 1 additional round 1 postition.

This means at the end of round 1, that site has a max of 2 teams.

Phoenix wrote:If this is true its no longer Nationals and we could have over 60 sites, the cap is now void and we have the same issue as before...
So you would need to have other constraints ... do they run a league - are they running Juniors - what criteria are you setting for being able to enter a site ?

Each site that runs a competition has the right to enter a team. - I would take this as running leagues of some sort. I believe not all sites do this.

Also looking at the numbers... how many sites actually enter now compared to how many sites are out there... These numbers I am not sure of.

Yes, other sports dont do it this way... but we are unique.... and whilst I would like to see this as a top teams only area, I think we are still too young for that.

Giz.

Return to Zone Australasian Titles